With the kids
Be prepared to be interrupted at least 5 times within a 2 minute expand which is what is happening as I write this…
In my experience you need patience and more than usual when you are travelling with your little ones. Also be prepared but do not freak out if the plan you had come up with to entertain them goes out the window because it most likely will.
Try to keep them awake at least 2 hours before you are travelling (specially by plane). Ideally walk with them at least once in a period of 2 hours, this way they are able to burn a bit of energy.
Hubby and I have choose to travel by car most of the times because of the flexibility the mode of transportation (you are able to stop at any rest stop and if needed change your plans). We all know the stares people give you with a screaming infant or toddler in a crowded airplane and we just like to avoid that if possible.
The following is a list of objects that I have found useful when travelling by car, bus or plane
- Bring snacks
- Cereals, chewy bars, trail mix, chips
- Apple and baby carrots (usually there is no leakage and they do not get spoiled as fast)
- Candy yes try lollipops or their favorite chocolate bar
- Crayons and activity book
- Story book
- Post it notes
- Tablets with a ton of games and now Netflix lets you download different types of TV shows and movies
- Their favorite toy
- Extra clothes for child and mom
- For the kids
- Socks, underwear, pants, 2 t-shirt and a hoodie
- For the mom
- Underwear, pants, t-shirt and a hoodie
- For the kids
- Comfort Objects
- With my oldest son when he was a toddler he liked having one bottle of milk and one bottle of water
- My youngest song likes to have his blanket and milk
Things will likely at some point get out of control specially when travelling with kids under 4 things are very unpredictable. Remember take a deep breath and try your best to make your child comfortable. If you need help ask for it.
Keep an open mind
*In past experiences all the objects listed have come very handy. However always keep in mind any food that might cause allergies. When crossing borders between countries always remember to look up for any food restrictions. Avoid liquids except milk and water.